Flight Operations Base Manager
• Location: DCA
• Work Schedule: Full Time (Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm, occasional extended periods of time as necessary to support airline operations; weekend work hours required)
• Reports To: Assistant Director of Flight Operations
• Direct Reports: Responsible for support, counsel and supervision of flight deck crewmembers
• Travel: Travel is required of this position
Let your career take off with PSA Airlines
Company Summary: As a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines and the fastest growing regional airline in the country, PSA offers a stable career path in aviation with unparalleled opportunities for growth and professional development. Teamwork and drive are at the heart of PSA. We are committed to growing our company where passion is shared, professional excellence is expected, and all people are valued and respected.
Our employees are committed to ensuring safe and reliable operations for the thousands of customers American trusts us with each and every day. We have an incredible team of more than 4,000 employees who do a tremendous job of operating more than 800 daily flights to nearly 100 destinations on behalf of American Airlines. Our immense growth provides a number of opportunities to join our team.
Culture: Our culture is The PSA Way – which focuses on our goals, safety, respect, preparedness, professional excellence, and passion. This foundation reflects how we think, act, and communicate with one another and our customers.
Engaging our employees is extremely important to us, and we seek leaders who inspire, enable, and encourage others to succeed using the PSA Way as their model.
PSA offers the benefits you expect from a company focused on excellence. All eligible employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including:
• Travel privileges on the American Airlines global network
• A generous vacation plan designed to let you enjoy your travel perks
• Medical, Dental & Vision
• 401k with company match
• American Airlines Group (AAG) profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
• Company-paid Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan (FSA), and supplementary options
The Base Manager is responsible for the overall support, counsel and supervision of flight deck crewmembers. The Base Manager will use excellent communication and team work, along with their knowledge of company operations and policy as well as labor contracts to come up with conflict resolutions in support of flight deck crew members and the operation.
• In-depth knowledge of the POH and FOM as well as company operations and the manual system
• Operate revenue flying when necessary to ensure schedule reliability.
• Work with flight deck crewmembers to maintain the highest standards of conduct, performance and competency
• Participate in labor relations grievances between all pilot personnel and the company
• Participate in hiring flight deck crewmembers
• Monitor pilot assignments
• Partner with other departments to ensure adequate crew member performance and training
• Organize and control documentation affecting the pilots’ personnel records (excluding training, flight and duty and basic personnel records delegated to other departments)
• In depth understanding of Safety Management System (SMS) philosophy and application
• Research and analyze operational issues to come up with root causes and recommended solutions using company SMS policies and philosophy. Ability to establish and maintain system of accountability, capability, commitment, execution and results in sustainable ways.
• Maintain a good working relationship with several departments (i.e. Inflight, Maintenance, OCC, Safety etc.) to support the operation
• Responsible for the Company's Security and Safety Management System (SMS) and associated Safety Risk Management and Safety Assurance outputs.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• When delegated, operational control of the airline
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Demonstrated knowledge of the operation with respect to aviation standards and safe operating practices, 14 CFR, Chapter 121 and operations specifications.
• Ability to speak/read/write in English.
• If hired, must be able to demonstrate that you are authorized to work in the US.
• At least 3 years previous flight operations experience
• At least 1 year previous line experience as a pilot
• Demonstrated knowledge of collective bargaining agreement
• Demonstrated knowledge of all applicable FARs and PSA operations specifications
To be successful at PSA, you should be:
• Engaging Communicator
• Results Driven
To be successful in this position, you should be great at:
• Performance management
• Problem solving
• Working with minimal supervision in a team environment
• Coaching & Development
• Driving Excellence
• Facilitating Change
• Strategic Thinking
Delegation: When delegated, operational control of the airline
Supervisory Responsibility: This is a supervisory position responsible for various ops support personnel
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and on aircraft. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, desk and cell phones, photocopiers, facsimile machines and filing cabinets.Working hours include normal business hours as well as some weekends and afterhours phone availability.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb up and down stairs; lift weight up to 25 lbs.; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209 as well as a pre-employment drug screen.
AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.