Lean Master Black Belt
Reports To: Vice President of Maintenance & Engineering
Travel: Some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Let your career take off with PSA Airlines
Company Summary: As a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines and the fastest growing regional airline in the country, PSA offers a stable career path in aviation with unparalleled opportunities for growth and professional development. Teamwork and drive are at the heart of PSA. We are committed to growing our company where passion is shared, professional excellence is expected, and all people are valued and respected.
Our employees are committed to ensuring safe and reliable operations for the thousands of customers American trusts us with each and every day. We have an incredible team of more than 4,000 employees who do a tremendous job of operating more than 800 daily flights to nearly 100 destinations on behalf of American Airlines. Our immense growth provides a number of opportunities to join our team.
Culture: Not only is PSA an EEO and AAP employer, but also we seek to create an inclusive work environment where diverse perspectives and experiences are embraced and respected. We work hard to build and sustain a culture where people – team members and customers alike – feel safe, secure and happy. It is The PSA Way, which focuses on our goals, safety, respect, preparedness, professional excellence, and passion. This foundation reflects how we think, act, and communicate with one another and our customers.
Engaging our employees is extremely important to us, and we seek leaders who inspire, enable, and encourage others to succeed using the PSA Way as their model.
PSA offers the benefits you expect from a company focused on excellence. All eligible employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including:
• Travel privileges on the American Airlines global network
• A generous vacation plan designed to let you enjoy your travel perks
• Medical, Dental & Vision
• 401k with company match
• American Airlines Group (AAG) profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
• Company-paid Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan (FSA), and supplementary options
The Lean Master Black Belt will lead the application of advanced improvement methods to achieve quantifiable business performance gains. They will manage and coordinate the accomplishment of large-scale improvement and systems management projects. Provide mentoring and developmental support for the business units deployed lean change agents, work teams and continuous improvement teams. Acts as subject matter expert in lean concepts and processes.
• Facilitates planning events with Leadership and all levels of Management to develop a breakthrough vision for continual improvement including the Annual Plan for alignment of events and initiatives to meet annual improvement priorities.
• Leads quarterly Value Stream Mapping to assess primary and support organization priorities vs. the Annual Plan and create event descriptions as inputs to the creation of the Annual Plan.
• Leads cross functional events to achieve Lean performance including Kaizen events, practical problem-solving events/exercises and root cause analysis sessions.
o Validate pre-event scoping, guides’ resource selection to include pre-event communication, conduct event follow-up and drives action item completion not completed during the Kaizen event.
• Coordinates development of audits and evaluation plans (5S, System Usage, Standards Review, etc.).
• Works with leadership specifically to transition ownership and follow-up with ongoing usage and enhancements ensuring completion.
• Develops and conducts presentations to senior leadership to communicate scope and impact of improvement initiatives.
• Provides regular reports to the Department and Division management on Lean Project status, time lines and developments.
• Manages an ongoing list of employee suggestions and action items.
o Prioritizes the list for initiatives and action items based on the Annual Plan, impact on maintenance performance and ease of accomplishment.
• Leads and participates in cross site, best practice sharing and standardization sessions in order to drive organizational standards for improved performance across all maintenance sites.
• Participates in post-maintenance check meetings, receives weekly and monthly maintenance metrics packages, and analyzes them for inputs into the Lean plan.
• Develops formal, informal and on the job training course materials such as lesson plans, information sheets, technical charts and graphs, slides, posters, exams, etc. in the areas on continuous improvement.
• Conducts formal, informal and on the job (OJT) training in continuous improvement.
• Performs administrative and special assignments as necessary based on knowledge, skill and abilities.
• Responsible for the Company's Security and Safety Management System (SMS) and associated Safety Risk Management and Safety Assurance outputs.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, preferably in Aeronautical, Quantitative or Business Discipline
• Certification in lean, lean six sigma (LSS), Black Belt, Master Black Belt
• Certifications in project management and/or quality
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience in Aircraft Operations, maintenance or Logistical support
• 5+ years of experience working with lean six sigma methodologies and tools and leading process improvement projects
• 5+ years of experience in project management and/or process improvement with proven ability to lead change through both direct and indirect influencing abilities
• 3 years of relevant Continuous Process Improvement (CPI)/Lean Six Sigma (LSS) experience
• Demonstrated leadership and performance in Lean activities
• Fluency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
• Knowledge of FAA regulations
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to speak/read/write in English
• If hired, must be able to demonstrate that you are authorized to work in the US
• Certification and Training experience
• A&P license
• Part 121 airline experience
To be successful at PSA, you should be:
• Engaging Communicator
• Results Driven
To be successful in this position, you should be great at:
• Time and performance management
• Organizational skills
• Problem solving
• Communication skills (verbal and written)
Delegation: In absence, responsibilities delegated to the Vice President of Maintenance & Engineering.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position will not have direct reports.
Work Environment: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This job operates up to 15% of the time outside in all types of weather. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, facsimile machines and filing cabinets.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; climb up and down stairs/ladder; bend/stoop; occasionally push/pull and lift weight up to 75 lbs; use hands to grasp, finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. On rare occasions may be required to crawl, use fine manipulations, kneeling, and repetitive motion.
Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209 as well as a pre-employment drug screen. Must be able to obtain airport SIDA badging, Hazmat Shipping Certification and the ability to become a Hazmat trainer required.
AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.