Safety Specialist - Safety Management System
• Location: Dayton, OH
• Work Schedule: Full Time (Mon through Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm, occasional extended periods of time as necessary)
• Reports To: Manager, Safety Management System
• Relocation: Some relocation assistance available
• Travel: Some travel will be expected for this position
Let your career take off with PSA Airlines
Company Summary: As a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines and the fastest growing regional airline in the country, PSA offers a stable career path in aviation with unparalleled opportunities for growth and professional development. Teamwork and drive are at the heart of PSA. We are committed to growing our company where passion is shared, professional excellence is expected, and all people are valued and respected.
Our employees are committed to ensuring safe and reliable operations for the thousands of customers American trusts us with each and every day. We have an incredible team of more than 4,000 employees who do a tremendous job of operating more than 800 daily flights to nearly 100 destinations on behalf of American Airlines. Our immense growth provides a number of opportunities to join our team.
Culture: Not only is PSA an EEO and AAP employer, but also we seek to create an inclusive work environment where diverse perspectives and experiences are embraced and respected. We work hard to build and sustain a culture where people – team members and customers alike – feel safe, secure and happy. It is The PSA Way, which focuses on our goals, safety, respect, preparedness, professional excellence, and passion. This foundation reflects how we think, act, and communicate with one another and our customers.
Engaging our employees is extremely important to us, and we seek leaders who inspire, enable, and encourage others to succeed using the PSA Way as their model.
Dayton, OH – Dayton is known as the Gem City and the birthplace of Aviation. It is also the home of PSA Airlines headquarters. Here, you will be able to enjoy a rich history in aviation by visiting the National Museum of the United States Air Force and the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historic Park.
PSA offers the benefits you expect from a company focused on excellence. All eligible employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including:
• Travel privileges on the American Airlines global network
• A generous vacation plan designed to let you enjoy your travel perks
• Medical, Dental & Vision
• 401k with company match
• American Airlines Group (AAG) profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
• Company-paid Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan (FSA), and supplementary options
The Safety Management System (SMS) Specialist assists the Manager of SMS in the day-to-day management and facilitation of the advancement of the PSA SMS. This position will interact with company managers, executive leadership, industry cohorts and regulatory officials
• Assist in the maintenance of PSA Safety Management System (SMS) Program.
• Interface with executive leadership to continuously improve SMS processes and safety policy around the SMS program.
• Promotes the SMS throughout the Company.
• Leads and attends Safety Action Group (SAG) meetings as appropriate.
• Facilitate the drafting and finalization of all SMS Risk Assessments and Change Management forms.
• Responsible for input of SMS documentation into K2 and Intelex.
• Monitors the effective implementation of policies, procedures and programs through the Safety Assurance Process.
• Develop and issue relevant SMS communication throughout the company.
• Prepare and deliver SMS training to company employees as needed.
• Maintain all SMS Training Records.
• Assist with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) and ensure compliance with all SMS related IOSA standards and recommend practices (ISARPs)
• Collaborate with the Internal Evaluation Program (IEP).
• Support the company accident/incident and injury-reduction efforts by developing proactive and educational safety programs; sharing safety data and trends to reduce the frequency and severity of mishaps.
• Active participant with the PSA Airlines Safety Committee.
• Assist with Safety Policies and Procedures Manual (SPPM).
• Create a SMS newsletter for employees to disseminate relevant safety and SMS information throughout the company.
• Assist with annual review of the SMS to evaluate the effectiveness of the system with all working groups.
• Prepare and distribute reports to federal, state and local safety authorities as required.
• Communicate safety programs, policies and procedures to management and employee groups.
• Responsible for the Company’s Security and Safety Management System (SMS) and associated Safety Risk Management and Safety Assurance outputs.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• At least two (2) years within in aviation
• At least one (1) year with safety experience
• Advanced degree in safety, engineering, or aviation related field or a closely related
• Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office and required.
• Ability to speak/read/write in English.
• If hired, must be able to provide proof or right to work in the U.S.
• One year of SMS related experience and regulatory compliance experience preferred
• Accident investigation, root cause analysis (RCA) and/or safety program experience
• Airman Licenses preferred.
To be successful at PSA, you should be:
• Engaging Communicator
• Results Drive
To be successful in this position, you should be great at:
• Time management
• Problem solving
• Handling sensitive situations
• Maintaining confidentiality
Supervisory Responsibility: This is not a supervisory position.
Delegation: In absence, the Manager of SMS will handle and re-assign tasks.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, facsimile machines and filing cabinets.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb up and down stairs; lift weight up to 25 lbs; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209 as well as a pre-employment drug screen.
AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.