Maintenance Safety Program Manager
• Location: Dayton, OH/Charlotte, NC
• Work Schedule / Shift: Full-time
(occasional extended periods of time as necessary to support airline operations)
• Reports To: Manager of SMS
• Relocation: Assistance available
• Direct Reports: 2
• Travel: Travel is required of this position
Let your career take off with PSA Airlines
Company Summary: As a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines and the fastest growing regional airline in the country, PSA offers a stable career path in aviation with unparalleled opportunities for growth and professional development. Teamwork and drive are at the heart of PSA. We are committed to growing our company where passion is shared, professional excellence is expected, and all people are valued and respected.
Our employees are committed to ensuring safe and reliable operations for the thousands of customers American trusts us with each and every day. We have an incredible team of more than 4,000 employees who do a tremendous job of operating more than 800 daily flights to nearly 100 destinations on behalf of American Airlines. Our immense growth provides a number of opportunities to join our team.
Culture: Not only is PSA an EEO and AAP employer, but also we seek to create an inclusive work environment where diverse perspectives and experiences are embraced and respected. We work hard to build and sustain a culture where people – team members and customers alike – feel safe, secure and happy. It is The PSA Way, which focuses on our goals, safety, respect, preparedness, professional excellence, and passion. This foundation reflects how we think, act, and communicate with one another and our customers.
Engaging our employees is extremely important to us, and we seek leaders who inspire, enable, and encourage others to succeed using the PSA Way as their model.
Charlotte, NC – Charlotte hosts one of PSA’s senior bases. It is the largest city in the state of North Carolina and the third-fastest growing major city in the United States. Nicknamed the “Queen City,” this city upholds rich history and southern hospitality. You will enjoy the food scene, art and history. Home of the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Motor Speedway, NASCAR Hall of Fame and Carolinas Aviation Museum, this city offers an abundance of activities.
Dayton, OH – Dayton is known as the Gem City and the birthplace of Aviation. It is also the home of PSA Airlines headquarters. Here, you will be able to enjoy a rich history in aviation by visiting the National Museum of the United States Air Force and the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historic Park.
PSA offers the benefits you expect from a company focused on excellence. All eligible employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including:
• Travel privileges on the American Airlines global network
• A generous vacation plan designed to let you enjoy your travel perks
• Medical, Dental & Vision
• 401k with company match
• American Airlines Group (AAG) profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
• Company-paid Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan (FSA), and supplementary options
The Maintenance Safety Program Manager is responsible for facilitating the advancement of the PSA Safety Management System (SMS) in Maintenance, leading the Maintenance Safety & Compliance specialists and assisting the Maintenance team on Root Cause Analysis/Risk Assessments. The Maintenance Safety Program Manager is also responsible for promoting safety and compliance in the hangar environment. The successful Maintenance Safety Program Manager will be a team player possessing excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Responsible for the PSA Safety Management System (SMS) covering all areas in the Maintenance Department.
• Assist in the promotion of the SMS in the Maintenance Department.
• Assist in the drafting of SMS Risk Assessments and Management of Change forms for the Maintenance Team.
• Facilitate Safety Action Group (SAG) meetings in Maintenance as required.
• Input and maintain all of the SMS documentation into the SMS database as required.
• Schedule/facilitate Maintenance Data Analysis Group (MDAG) meetings and Maintenance Standards Board (MSB).
• Monitors the effective implementation of policies, procedures, and programs through the Safety Assurance Process.
• Ability to work with front line employees to achieve cultural change within the Maintenance Organization.
• Responsible for the development and presentation of SMS training of Maintenance personnel.
• Responsible for development and delivery of Maintenance New Hire Safety presentations for Maintenance Technicians.
• Conducts comprehensive risk analysis, audits, and observations, and works with management to develop mitigation strategies to address root causes.
• Conducts Safety Investigations of significant operational mishaps and performs Safety evaluations at facilities to proactively identify and mitigate safety and health hazards.
• Assist each Maintenance Base manager with RCA investigations.
• Lead, train and oversee the Maintenance Safety and Compliance Specialists.
• Act as Risk Management subject matter experts for Maintenance Leaders.
• Oversee the Maintenance Root Cause Analysis Investigations (RCA’s) to ensure accuracy and coordinate with CASS as required.
• Inspect work areas for compliance with all applicable regulations, including but not limited to OSHA and EPA.
• Maintain positive and proactive relations with managers and employees, as well as our customers and regulatory agencies.
• Interfaces with other departments, FAA, and union representatives regarding maintenance safety issues and programs.
• Provide safety data/recommendations to Maintenance Leadership.
• Develops and distributes maintenance safety articles, alerts, and briefs to communicate critical maintenance safety information.
• Responsible to create and compile information for the Maintenance Safety Briefings.
• Responsible to create safety briefings, newsletters, hangar slides to disseminate relevant safety information to all Technicians.
• Interface with the Maintenance Department by participating in the Continuing Analysis and Surveillance System (CASS).
• Coordinate with the Maintenance Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) Event Review Committee (ERC) to provide investigation information/support as required.
• Attend the Maintenance ERC meetings as a Safety Department representative.
• Supports the company accident/incident and injury reduction efforts by developing proactive and educational safety programs and by sharing safety data and trends to reduce the frequency and severity of mishaps.
• Participates and works as a Go Team Member in an event of an accident.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• A&P Certificate
• Accident investigation, root cause analysis (RCA) and/or safety program experience
• Outstanding management and organizational skills
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software
• If hired, must be able to demonstrate that you are authorized to work in the US.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Aviation
• Advanced technical degree in safety, engineering, or aviation field or closely related discipline
• Minimum of two (2) years in airline industry with at least one (1) year safety experience
To be successful at PSA, you should be:
• Engaging Communicator
• Results Drive
To be successful in this position, you should be great at:
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Proactive and collaborative approach to problem-solving
• Positive communicaton skills (verbal and written)
• Ability to work with minimal supervision in a team environment
• Ability to interact with all levels of company personnel
• Strong team player
• Professional aptitude
• Ability to manage multiple projects at one time with time sensitive deadlines
• Ability to maintain confidentiality in an aggressive growth environment
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, facsimile machines and filing cabinets.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb up and down stairs; lift weight up to 25 lbs; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209 as well as a pre-employment drug screen.
AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.