Assistant Director, Heavy Maintenance
Department: Maintenance Operations
Reports to: Vice President, Maintenance
Direct Reports: 4
Travel: estimated 80%
Let your career take off with PSA Airlines
Company Summary: As a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines and the fastest growing regional airline in the country, PSA offers a stable career path in aviation with unparalleled opportunities for growth and professional development. Teamwork and drive are at the heart of PSA. We are committed to growing our company where passion is shared, professional excellence is expected, and all people are valued and respected.
Our employees are committed to ensuring safe and reliable operations for the thousands of customers American trusts us with each and every day. We have an incredible team of more than 4,000 employees who do a tremendous job of operating more than 800 daily flights to nearly 100 destinations on behalf of American Airlines. Our immense growth provides a number of opportunities to join our team.
Culture: Not only is PSA an EEO and AAP employer, but also we seek to create an inclusive work environment where diverse perspectives and experiences are embraced and respected. We work hard to build and sustain a culture where people – team members and customers alike – feel safe, secure and happy. It is The PSA Way, which focuses on our goals, safety, respect, preparedness, professional excellence, and passion. This foundation reflects how we think, act, and communicate with one another and our customers.
PSA offers the benefits you expect from a company focused on excellence. All employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including:
• Travel privileges on the American Airlines global network
• A generous vacation plan designed to let you enjoy your travel perks
• Medical, Dental & Vision
• 401k with company match
• American Airlines Group (AAG) profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
• Company-paid Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan (FSA), and supplementary options
With general leadership from the Vice President of Maintenance & Engineering, responsible for directing, managing and coordinating activities related to Line, Base and Powerplant Operations. Oversees a growing organization that includes includes mulitple direct and indirect reports.
• Lead the vision of the department with the Vice President of Maintenance and Engineering, and other senior management, in projecting a strong leadership presence with a commitment to the uncompromising promotion of safety and regulatory compliance.
• To act positively, cooperatively, efficiently and expediently in carrying out all orders, directives and requests from senior management.
• Lead the Contract and Agreement negotiations between PSA Airlines and Heavy Maintenance Essential Maintenance Service Providers (EMPs).
• Ensure that decisions made and actions taken are in the best interest of PSA Airlines in all matters relating to services provided by a Heavy Maintenance EMP.
• Administration, supervision and leadership of assigned staff to include establishing work schedules, directing work assignments, conducting work performance appraisals, monitoring attendance and enforcing compliance with all required policies, practices, procedures, processes and methods.
• Ensure that assigned staff are adequately and properly trained, as required, in order to perform their duties and carry out their responsibilities with the highest degree of safety, regulatory compliance, efficiency and excellence.
• Ensure that Heavy Maintenance EMP personnel are adequately and properly trained, as required, in order to perform maintenance, preventive maintenance and alterations on aircraft operated by PSA Airlines.
• Work closely and coordinate with the Director of Maintenance Planning and Scheduling to formulate, define, establish, provide and maintain short and long-term Heavy Maintenance schedules, plans and forecasts.
• Approve & issue HMV Statements of Work and Purchase Orders to Heavy Maintenance EMP.
• Archive HMV records by aircraft and visit including but not limited to Statements of Work, Approved quotes, Invoices, Engineering documents, completed work packages, CPCPs, 337s, & SDRs.
• Act as the primary “Point- of- Contact”, leader, and liaison between a Heavy Maintenance Service Provider and PSA Airlines.
• Collaborate and interface with all appropriate and available internal resources in rendering decisions on airworthiness, serviceability and regulatory compliance issues as they may relate to Heavy Maintenance.
• Ensure compliance, by a Heavy Maintenance EMP, with all policies, practices, procedures, processes and methods required by the PSA Airlines General Maintenance Manual, PSA-EMP Airworthiness Agreement, and applicable contract.
• Leads direction of development corrective actions from audits and advise to senior leadership when correction actions require changes
• Assist in the preparation of Heavy Maintenance budgets, including forward-looking budgetary cost projections and forecasts as requested. Strive to maintain costs within the established budget. Explain costs that exceed approved budget.
• Verify, validate, and approve invoicing from Heavy Maintenance EMPs.
• Provide any required or requested reports and briefings, on Heavy Maintenance activity, and keep senior management (Vice President and Directors) appraised of all actual or potentially negative conditions that may affect the quality of work, the progress of work, the completion of work within established schedules or the completion of work within established cost.
• Work closely and coordinate with Reliability department to monitor and track aircraft performance, following Heavy Maintenance, in order to identify any warranty issues resulting from work performed and to process any resulting warranty claims.
• Monitor inventory levels, at Heavy Maintenance EMP facilities, to ensure that PSA property and assets are accounted for and available as required.
• Lead strategic direction of the HMV reps on-site visits; participate with a positive PSA Airlines corporate presence at all Heavy Maintenance EMP facilities.
• Act as the Leader, for PSA Airlines, on the Bombardier - CRJ aircraft “Structures Working Group”.
• Actively engage Structures Working group and work with PSA internal departments to identify and implement reliability and cost saving improvements to PSA Maintenance program.
• Provide recommendations for improvements to policies, practices, procedures, processes and methods utilized by the Maintenance and Engineering Department.
• Ensure aircrafts out of heavy maintenance meet American Airlines’ cabin appearance standards.
• Responsible for the Company’s Security and Safety Management System (SMS) and associated Safety Risk Management and Safety Assurance outputs.
• Current FAA A&P license
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Over 5 years’ experience in maintenance of large aircraft
• At least two years’ experience in a supervisory capacity
• Good working knowledge of the Federal Aviation Regulations.
• Experience with budgetary management, administration and control.
• Experience with management and administration of service contracts and agreements.
• Program management experience.
• Experience with “Maintenix” and “AMES” software.
• Previous experience in leading heavy maintenance and/or vendor management
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Must be able to demonstrate right to work in the U.S.
• Must be able to read, speak and write in English
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software
To be successful at PSA, you should be:
To be successful in this position, you should be great at:
• Time management
• Communication (verbal and written)
• Professional aptitude
• Problem Solving
• Coaching & Development
• Driving Excellence
• Facilitating Change
• Strategic Thinking
• Work Environment: This job operates approximately 80% of the time inside a climate controlled building and approximately 20% of the time outside in all types of weather. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, facsimile machines and filing cabinets.
• Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; climb up and down stairs; bend/stoop; occasionally push/pull and lift weight up to 75 lbs.; use hands to grasp, finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. On rare occasions may be required to crawl, use fine manipulations, kneeling, and repetitive motion.
• Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209 as well as a pre-employment drug screen.
• AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
• Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.