Manager of Flight Standards
• Location: Charlotte, NC
• Work Schedule / Shift: Varies
• Reports To: Director of Flight Ops Technical
• Direct Reports: 1 Check Airman Supervisors, 100 Line Check Airmen
• Relocation: Assistance available
• Travel: 25%
Let your career take off with PSA Airlines
Company Summary: As a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines and the fastest growing regional airline in the country, PSA offers a stable career path in aviation with unparalleled opportunities for growth and professional development. Teamwork and drive are at the heart of PSA. We are committed to growing our company where passion is shared, professional excellence is expected, and all people are valued and respected.
Our employees are committed to ensuring safe and reliable operations for the thousands of customers American trusts us with each and every day. We have an incredible team of more than 4,000 employees who do a tremendous job of operating more than 800 daily flights to nearly 100 destinations on behalf of American Airlines. Our immense growth provides a number of opportunities to join our team.
Culture: Not only is PSA an EEO and AAP employer, but also we seek to create an inclusive work environment where diverse perspectives and experiences are embraced and respected. We work hard to build and sustain a culture where people – team members and customers alike – feel safe, secure and happy. It is The PSA Way, which focuses on our goals, safety, respect, preparedness, professional excellence, and passion. This foundation reflects how we think, act, and communicate with one another and our customers.
Charlotte, NC – Charlotte hosts one of PSA’s senior bases. It is the largest city in the state of North Carolina and the third-fastest growing major city in the United States. Nicknamed the “Queen City,” this city upholds rich history and southern hospitality. You will enjoy the food scene, art and history. Home of the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Motor Speedway, NASCAR Hall of Fame and Carolinas Aviation Museum, this city offers an abundance of activities.
PSA offers the benefits you expect from a company focused on excellence. All employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including:
• Travel privileges on the American Airlines global network
• A generous vacation plan designed to let you enjoy your travel perks
• Medical, Dental & Vision
• 401k with company match
• American Airlines Group (AAG) profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
• Company-paid Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long-term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan (FSA), and supplementary options
The Manager of Flight Standards impacts PSA Airlines’ standard operating procedures and practices. Evaluating overall and individual pilot standardization and compliance; involving the leadership of a staff focused on ensuring company pilots are safe, competent and knowledgeable.
• Responsible for implementation of programs necessary for the uniform operation of the Training department.
• Primary point of contact with the FAA and other external organizations that may affect PSA's AQP.
• Defines team responsibilities, plans and schedules resources, submit check airman letters and documents for FAA approval and maintains quality control over (I)OE process and products.
• Responsible to review all Federal Aviation Regulations as it applies to airmen training or currency, and implement any requirements or change to those requirements in a timely manner.
• Identifies and analyzes operational data for potential safety risks, and recommends corrective actions.
• Performs duties as directed by the Director of Flight Ops Technical.
• Comply with applicable company policies, procedures and FARs.
• Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department and company.
• Act as liaison between the Standards Department and other Company departments and alliance partners. Works closely with the Manager of Flight Simulator Training and Standards.
• Works in cooperation with the Development, Training and Safety Departments, including ASAP and FOQA, to develop and implement corrective action plans to address negative trends in pilot performance.
• Monitors the conduct of PSA Training Programs and provides feedback to the Director of Flight Ops Training & Standards.
• FAR 119 Authority
• High school diploma or equivalent
• 2 years of relevant work experience
• Associates or Bachelor’s Degree
• ATP with CL-65 type rating
• PSA Line experience
• Sim Instructor/PCA/APD experience
• 5 years of relevant work experience
• Expertise or experience in pilot training and standardization functions, from a development, delivery, or management perspective
To be successful at PSA, you should be:
To be successful in this position, you should be great at:
• Strong communication (verbal and written)
• Organization and planning skills
• Strategic development and decision making
• Coaching & Development
• Driving Excellence
• Facilitating Change
• Strategic Thinking
• Work Environment: This job operates approximately 90% of the time inside a climate controlled building and approximately 10% of the time outside in all types of weather. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, facsimile machines and filing cabinets.
• Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; climb up and down stairs; bend/stoop; occasionally push/pull and lift weight up to 75 lbs.; use hands to grasp, finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. On rare occasions may be required to crawl, use fine manipulations, kneeling, and repetitive motion.
• Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209.
• AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
• Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.